Buckwheat Crêpes with Pepper, Asparagus and Mushrooms
Ingredients Makes 4 servings
|2 cups||buckwheat flour||500 mL|
|11⁄2 tsp||sea salt||7 mL|
|3 cups||water||750 mL|
|2 tbsp||butter or olive oil, divided||30 mL|
|5 oz||mushrooms, sliced||150 g|
|1||small onion, thinly sliced||1|
|12||spears asparagus, trimmed, cut in half||12|
|5 oz||Gruyère cheese, shredded||150 g|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Gradually pour in 21⁄2 cups (625 mL) water, mixing thoroughly with a wooden spoon, to obtain a thick batter.
- Beat well, lifting the batter often to incorporate air. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 1 day. Just before using, thin batter as necessary with remaining water until mixture is the consistency of thick oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Ladle about 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) of batter per crêpe into skillet, swirling pan to thinly coat pan. Cook until bottom is golden and top looks dry, about 1 minute. Flip over and cook for 10 seconds. Transfer to a plate. Repeat, adjusting heat as necessary between crêpes.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the butter over medium-high heat. Sauté bell pepper, mushrooms and onion until mushrooms start to brown, about 8 minutes. Add asparagus and sauté until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add remaining butter to skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Fry eggs, sunny side up, until golden on the bottom and yolk is desired texture, 2 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place crêpes on serving plates and divide vegetable mixture among them. Top each with a fried egg. Fold edges over slightly to cover filling, leaving center exposed.