Ingredients Makes 6 servings
|2 lbs||chicken legs, with thighs, skin 1 kg and excess fat removed||1 kg|
|3 1/2 cups||water||875 mL|
|1 tsp||salt||5 mL|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|2 tbsp||butter||30 mL|
|2 cups||quartered mushrooms||500 mL|
|1||large clove garlic, finely chopped||1|
|2 tsp||dried fines herbes or dried basil leaves||10 mL|
|1/3 cup||all-purpose flour||75 mL|
|3||carrots, peeled and sliced||3|
|2||stalks celery, chopped||2|
|1/2 cup||whipping (35%) cream or table (18%) cream||125 mL|
|1 cup||frozen peas||250 mL|
|1/4 cup||chopped fresh parsley||60 mL|
|CHEDDAR BISCUIT CRUST|
|1 1/3 cups||all purpose flour||325 mL|
|2 tsp||baking powder||10 mL|
|1/2 tsp||baking soda||10 mL|
|1/4 tsp||salt||1 mL|
|1/2 cup||shredded Cheddar cheese||125 mL|
|1/2 cup||buttermilk||125 mL|
|1/4 cup||butter, melted||60 mL|
- 12-cup (3 L) deep casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large saucepan, combine chicken, water, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Let stand until chicken is cool enough to handle. Pull chicken meat from bones; cut into bite-size pieces. Strain stock and skim off any fat; there should be 21⁄2 cups (625 mL) of stock. Add water, if necessary. Discard bay leaf. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook mushrooms, onion, garlic and fines herbes, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Blend flour with small amount of stock until smooth; add rest of stock. Stir into mushroom mixture; bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened and smooth.
- Add carrots and celery; cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Add chicken, cream, peas and parsley; season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Heat through. Spoon hot chicken mixture into casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Meanwhile, make Cheddar Biscuit Crust (see recipe, below). Roll out on lightly floured board to make a circle large enough to cover casserole. Arrange on top of hot chicken mixture. (If making chicken mixture ahead, cover and refrigerate; microwave on Medium-High (70%), or reheat in saucepan on stovetop, until piping hot before topping with crust.)
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
- Cheddar Biscuit Crust: In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add cheese. Combine buttermilk and butter; stir into flour mixture to make a soft dough.