Ingredients Makes 7 pint (500mL) jars
|3 lbs||31⁄2- to 4-inch (8.5 to 10 cm) pickling cucumbers||1.5 kg|
|4 cups||ice cubes||1 L|
|1 1/2 cups||granulated sugar||375 mL|
|1/4 cup||pickling or canning salt||50 mL|
|6 cups||white vinegar||1.5 L|
|1 1/2 cups||water||375 mL|
|1/2 cup||finely chopped onion||125 mL|
- Scrub cucumbers gently under running water. Trim off 1⁄8 inch (3 mm) from each end and cut cucumbers lengthwise into quarters.
- In a large bowl, layer cucumbers and ice cubes, using about one- quarter of each per layer. Add cold water to cover by about 1 inch (2.5 cm). Place a plate on top to weigh down cucumbers. Cover and let stand at a cool room temperature for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare canner, jars and lids.
- In a colander, working in batches, drain cucumbers. Set aside.
- In a pot, combine sugar, salt, vinegar and 11⁄2 cups (375 mL) water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often until sugar and salt are dissolved. Boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and keep liquid hot.
- Working with one jar at a time, place a heaping tablespoon (15 mL) of onion in hot jar. Pack cucumbers and 2 celery sticks into jar, leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) headspace. Add 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) mustard seeds and 1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) celery seeds. Pour in hot pickling liquid, leaving 1⁄2 inch (1 cm) headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace as necessary by adding hot pickling liquid. Wipe rim and place hot lid disc on jar. Screw band down until fingertip- tight.
- Place jars in canner and return to a boil. Process for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, remove canner lid and let jars stand in water for 5 minutes. Transfer jars to a towel-lined surface and let stand for 24 hours. Check lids and refrigerate any jars that are not sealed.