French Toast Muffins (Vegan)
Ingredients Makes 12 muffins
|31⁄2||cubed firm white bread (dairy- and egg-free)||875 mL|
|1⁄2 cup||non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice, hemp)||125 mL|
|2 cups||all-purpose flour||500 mL|
|2 tsp||baking powder||10 mL|
|2 tsp||ground cinnamon, divided||10 mL|
|1⁄2 tsp||salt||2 mL|
|3⁄4 cup||packed vegan light brown sugar||175 mL|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract||5 mL|
|11⁄3 cups||non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice, hemp)||325 mL|
|1⁄4 cup||pure maple syrup||60 mL|
|2 tbsp||vegan granulated sugar or evaporated cane juice||30 mL|
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
- 12-cup muffin pan, greased
- Topping: In a medium bowl, combine bread and milk, tossing to coat; set aside.
- Muffins: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, 11⁄2 tsp (2 mL) of the cinnamon and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, margarine and vanilla until well blended. Whisk in milk until blended.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Spoon topping evenly over batter and press lightly into batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 21 to 26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately brush warm muffins with maple syrup.
- In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and the remaining cinnamon. Sprinkle over muffins. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 3 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.