Pumpkin Soup with Shrimp and Lime
Ingredients Makes 6 to 8 servings
|3||leeks, white part only, cleaned and coarsely chopped||3|
|4 cups||vegetable stock (or chicken stock)||1 L|
|1 tsp||salt||5 mL|
|1⁄4 tsp||freshly ground black pepper||1 mL|
|Grated zest and juice of 1 lime|
|1 cup||whipping (35%) cream||250 mL|
|8 oz||cooked salad shrimp or 2 cans (33⁄4 oz/106 g) shrimp, rinsed and drained||250 g|
|6 to 8||cherry tomatoes, halved||6 to 8|
|2 tbsp||toasted pumpkin seeds, optional (see Tip)||25 mL|
|Finely chopped chives or cilantro|
- Works best in a large (minimum 5 quart/1.25 L) slow cooker 6 cups peeled pie pumpkin, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) cubes
- In slow cooker stoneware, combine pumpkin, leeks, stock, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours, until pumpkin is tender.
- Working in batches, purée soup in a food processor or blender. (You can also do this in the stoneware using an immersion blender.)
- If serving hot, return soup to slow cooker, add lime zest and juice, cayenne, cream and shrimp and cook on High for 20 minutes, or until shrimp are heated through. If serving cold, combine ingredients in a large bowl and chill thoroughly.
- When ready to serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with cherry tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, if using, and chives.