Spiders Babycakes Cake Pops
Ingredients Makes 1 centerpiece
|Yellow, green, orange, lavender and black candy coating wafers|
|7||any flavor Cake Pops||7|
|orange and purple oil-based candy coloring|
|7||black candy-coated chocolate candies||7|
|14||white, yellow and/or orange confetti sprinkles||14|
|7||cake pop sticks||7|
|1||pastry bag or squeeze bottle, fitted with a fine tip||1|
|1||food-safe fine paintbrush||1|
|49 inches||ribbon (about 1⁄4 inch/0.5 cm wide), cut into 7-inch (18 cm) lengths||123 cm|
|1||decorative Halloween motif pail or vase (about 21⁄2 inches/6 cm in diameter)||1|
|1||styrofoam block (about 4 by 21⁄2 by 21⁄2 inches/10 by 6 by 6 cm)||1|
|Black paper shred|
- Combine 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) each yellow and green candy coating wafers. Melt until smooth. Adjust the tone to make a bright green by adding a little more of one color or the other and reheating to melt. Use to attach sticks to 3 cake pops. Freeze cake pops for at least 15 minutes to set. Reserve the remaining candy coating.
- Melt 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) orange candy coating wafers. Tint with orange candy coloring to make a bright, deep orange. Use to attach sticks to 2 cake pops. Freeze cake pops for at least 15 minutes to set. Reserve the remaining candy coating.
- Melt 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) lavender candy coating wafers. Tint with purple candy coloring to make a bright, deep purple. Use to attach sticks to the remaining cake pops. Freeze cake pops for at least 15 minutes to set. Reserve the remaining candy coating.
- Reheat each of the candy coatings and coat the corresponding cake pops. Set in a cake pop stand to dry.
- Melt 2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 mL) black candy coating wafers. Use the pastry bag to pipe a dot of black coating near the top or on the side of each cake pop (see tip, at left). Place a candy-coated chocolate on each dot. Carefully pipe 8 legs around each candy-coated chocolate to make a spider. Use tiny drops of coating to glue 2 confetti sprinkles to each spider as eyes. Set in the stand to dry.
- Press 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the black coating out of the pastry bag and back into the bowl. Reheat as needed and thin with shortening or Paramount Crystals. Use the end of the paintbrush (opposite the bristles) to make dots of coating for pupils in the eyes. Set in the stand to dry.
- Tie a length of ribbon in a small bow around each cake pop stick. Slide the bow up so it is just below the cake pop. Measure the dimensions of the pail and trim the Styrofoam to fit snugly and be about 1 inch (2.5 cm) shorter than the pail. Place Styrofoam in the pail and cover it with paper shred. Push the cake pop sticks into the Styrofoam, arranging the cake pops decoratively.